Tuesday 9 October 2012

HOT CROSS FRESHERS' FAIR SHORTBREAD RECIPES: the savory ones!

Gosh, I made the garam masala cookies and zaatar cookies on-the-fly, and I can't quite remember what went into them.

But the basic recipe was the same as the sweet cookies, except with half the amount of sugar. 

For the Garam Masala cookies, I started by adding some berbere spice mix with the flour, then continued mixing and adding berbere until the dough had a strong chili aftertaste. I probably added around two tablespoons berbere total. At this point the dough did not have much initial taste, so I added some ras el hanout bit by bit, stirring in between doses as with the berbere. I think I added around one tablespoon of ras el hanout. The dough gained a dull initial taste that needed a little more bite, so I added cinnamon (again, about 1 tablespoon) until the dough was to my satisfaction.

For the zataar cookies, again, my memory is a little sketchy. I started by adding a couple of tablespoons of zataar with the flour, then I added a couple of teaspoons of light-colored opaque honey, and I finished off with a few teaspoons of ground mace.

2 comments:

  1. For those wondering about Berbere, an Ethiopian Chilli Spice Mix, the wonderful Ras-al-Hanout from Morocco or Zatar, please see the links below:

    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Ethiopian-Spice-Mix-Berbere-104015

    http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/maindishes/r/ras_el_hanout_recipe.htm

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Za%27atar

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it ended that that spicy blend tasted a lot like the mix of spices in Indian Garam Masala...so that's how the shortbread got their name...not to mention that "Garam Masala" just means Hot Spices, so it's perfectly accurate.

    ReplyDelete